Thursday, April 26, 2012

How to Make an Eye Patch (and a kid smile)!

One of my students needs to wear an eye patch.  He had a hard time getting used to the idea because he was afraid the other kids would make fun of him (so sad).  So, to help things be a little bit more bearable for him I made him this eye patch (he still wears a band aid like patch underneath).  I asked him before hand if he would like a special fun patch he could wear at school.  He wasn't too thrilled until I asked him what he would like on it and his face lit up when he said "A shark!"  I instantly panicked - how am I going to do THAT?  Then I thought - 'It'll be okay, I can probably find an iron on patch at Michael's', but they didn't have one at our local store.  There are some available different places online, but out of my price range.  So I came up with a solution that didn't cost me a dime! I had it all at home - yay! 
Here is what you need:
-a headband
-felt
-glue gun
-scissors
-googly eye
I cut out the blue ("water") patch and glued it to the headband.  Then I drew a shark on a piece of paper and cut it out for a template.  I drew the gills on with a black sharpie.  I cut out a small piece of red felt for the mouth.  Then I used sewing scissors to cut out the teeth (that was the hardest part.)  Then glued on a small googly eye.  That's it!  When I gave it to him the next day he was SO happy!!!!   

3 comments:

  1. What a fun thing for all the kiddos to wear without the awkwardness for your student.

    First Grade Delight
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I’m giving you an award! Come visit my blog for the details.

    Becki
    http://littlemisshoodsadventuresinkindergart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete