Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Tot School: Red Week

Hi friends!  I am linking up this week with #TeacherMom's new tot school linky.  One thing my kiddo needs more time with is learning her colors.  So last week we focused on the color red!  Since red reminds me of apples, I made this apple sensory bin.


This was really easy to make!  Here is a list of things included:
- bin - Target Dollar Spot
- apples - Michael's Craft Store (don't forget to use the 40% off coupon!)
- oats - any grocery store
- apple trees - toilet paper rolls, construction paper and red marker for the apples
- animals, farmer and fence - Little People Farm play set
(Pictured Below)
- tongs
-box for apples - from a Melissa and Doug play food set
The only thing I had to buy for this activity was the apples.  I got them 40% off at Michael's with a coupon.  Everything else we had at home.

The animals loved eating the apples!

She used the tongs to transfer the apples from the bin to this box.  

Isla loved reading these cards from Preschool Homeschool.  They are simple sentences about things that are red.  Preschool Homeschool has sets like this for every color and for other themes.  They come in color and black/white.  In this picture Isla is using an apple pointer to track while "reading" the sentences on the cards.  We kept them up all week and she could go read them whenever she wanted.  


Coloring the black/white version of the cards with a red crayon.

We used red play dough to make things that started with the letter c, one of our focus letters for the week.  

This cat themed lunch was more about the letter c than the color red, but I did use a red plate!

I made this dot the letter page for more letter c practice.

This FREE count and clip center from Teaching Tykes was so fun!  The center has cards up to number 20, but we just used the cards up to number 10.  

I hope you enjoyed reading about some of the activities we did this week.  Check back next week for more color themed ideas!   


5 comments:

  1. This is so great! I love ALL of your ideas! I'm particularly fond of th cat themed lunch. TOO CUTE. I also really love pointers. They were a favorite tool with my kindergarten kiddos. I can't wait until Beckett is ready to track words! Right now he does really well pointing but I don't think he's quite ready for a special tool.
    Thanks so much for linking up! I am LOVING seeing what other mommies are doing and getting some new ideas! :)
    Denise Hill, #TeacherMom

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful ideas! I love sensory bins! I'm going to check out the count and clip center....we are also working on numbers.

    Laura
    www.discoveringhiddenpotential.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful ideas! I love sensory bins! I'm going to check out the count and clip center....we are also working on numbers.

    Laura
    www.discoveringhiddenpotential.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for writing this informative aritcle.

    ReplyDelete